New features in Outgun 1.0
This page lists the most important changes from Outgun 0.5.0-E to the 1.0 branch. The main changes are new physics and a better map format and graphics. There are also lots of minor improvements and bug fixes that are not listed here.
- More realistic physics and wall bouncing.
- Support for tilted and curved walls.
- Unlimited number of walls in a room, number of rooms and number of spawn points in a map.
- Support for maps with multiple flags for each team, and ‘wild’ flags that aren’t team specific.
- Ability to drop the flag without dying.
- Optional collisions between players.
- Option to enable friendly fire.
- Option to have players drop one of their powerups when dying.
- More control over power-ups, for example configurable maximum weapon level and duration of the deathbringer’s effect.
- Option to delay the flag return. (starting with Outgun 1.0.3)
- Graphic themes with wall and ground textures and player sprites.
- Support for resolutions other than 640×480.
- Changeable fonts. (starting with Outgun 1.0.3)
Other client features
- Faster startup (with master server queries in the background).
- Better handling of high pings (allows to adjust between lag and jumpiness).
- New menus, with more options and a new look and feel.
- Menu for map voting.
- Team and player statistics screens.
- Support to making translations of the game easily.
- Menu for language selection.
- Menu for selecting the keyboard layout.
- Moving the player also with numpad keys.
- Server passwords, and an easier local player password (auth.txt) system without IP address considerations.
- Automatic kick for being idle.
- New master server (for server list, not tournament) with more information shown about the servers, on the MBnet web server that should be more stable than www.mycgiserver.com.
- Some small improvements to the authorization and administration systems.
- Dedicated server build for Linux without X. (starting with Outgun 1.0.2)
Updated 2006-02-13 – Niko Ritari & Jani Rivinoja